B401 (also known as Certan) is a preventative treatment that controls wax moth. It is a safe and environmentally friendly product based on a concentrated solution of Bacillus thuringiensis, a micro-organism.
B401 is used after the honey harvest, when the frames are stored and kills young wax moth larvae. It must therefore be used before a wax moth infestation. A single application will provide 100% efficacy against wax moth right up through to the following season.
- B401 is made of spores from Bacillus thuringiensis and must be diluted in water to 5% (ie 1 volume of B401 for 19 volumes of water).
- Shake the bottle of B401 vigorously before adding the required amount to the corresponding water volume and mixing.
- Once diluted, the solution must be used the same day. Before mixing, calculate the amount of product required to treat the desired number of frames.
For up to 100% wax moth control, apply 1.5ml of solution per 10 centimetres squared of comb, on both sides of the frame. For example, one 120ml B401 bottle will treat 70-100 Langstroth brood frames or 90-110 National super frames.
- Shake the bottle before use.
- Apply evenly with a sprayer over both sides of the frame.
- Allow the frames to dry in an aired room before storing.